Thursday, July 10, 2008

Worthless

There are things that we don't even know how to do anymore simply because...

well ... we don't have to know them anymore.

Example: I cannot figure out how to use the headlights in cars anymore. I am so accustomed to automatic headlights that I have no idea how to find them when they are manual -- or turn them on or off when I get in a new car.

Another example: I simply don't know how to work a REAL camera. I am so accustomed to digital and automatic cameras that I have never had to learn how to work a manual - never had to learn how to adjust the lens for the perfect photograph.

And there are so many more!

Who knows how to properly polish dress shoes anymore? Who knows how to sew a button back on a shirt?

I realized I didn't know if there were different rules for dialing cell phones and house phones today. Apparently you can dial out for a cell phone - the area codes are some different class than area codes for house phones. I didn't know that - I thought that people from Fort Worth with cell phones would have 817 area codes... is that not the case? I'm so confused.

I realized I have no idea how to use hot rollers either. Something that almost all women used daily for volume 25 years ago - I have no idea HOW to use them.
I don't know how to bake a pie or check the oil in a car - or can preserves. These are all things I wish I knew how to do!

How is it that we don't have classic literature passages and poetry memorized but we know all the lyrics to Baby Got Back by Sir-Mix a Lot....

How is it that some of my best friends can tell me the cast of the Real World from 2002 but can't tell me how to use the word respite in a sentence?

We are filled with useless information. We know how to bid with the best of them on e-bay and could demolish the competition in a pop-culture-knowledge-contest - but we don't know what's going on in the world or how to bake a pie!

I'm distraught - that much of our generation may prove to be... worthless. Especially me - what shall I do without the knowledge to use curlers or can preserves?

No comments: