You know when a little kid starts to laugh at absolutely nothing - when they say something that they think is one of the funniest things ever? That is how I am sometimes.
There were times in high school when I would be sitting in history class - learning about one of our founding fathers and all that they did to further the development of the light grey powdered wig instead of the dark grey powdered wig (or something of equal importance) - and I would just start laughing. Not laughing like a "haha" kind of laugh but a "teehee" kind of laugh.
Giggling - to myself - all because I thought of something that just ... tickled me. Something that I thought was positively hilarious but if I explained it - wouldn't be to anyone else. And it wasn't just history class - it was any class - that can be embarassing in science class when discussing cancer cells ("Alexis what's so funny about cancer?" "Oh nothing - it's not you or the cancer lecture - it's just me imagining if you suddenly ran across the room and jumped out the window screaming I'm free I'm free!" yeah... that would go over well).
I have a theory: I have random, intense releases of serotonin - affecting my nervous system and making me feel weird waves of extreme happiness and essentially giddiness. I have no way to prove my theory - but it makes sense. Either that or it's random releases of endorphins that give me inappropriate amounts of energy that manifest themselves in laughter.
If they could just harness the power of my strange "happy times" I could cure depression. I am the missing link! (but only if my theory is right and they find a way to harness my power... damn...)
There are movies too - movies that just get me for whatever reason - have me giggling beyond my own control - tearing up I think they're so funny. Monsters Inc. can be one of those movies. The little girl just toddling around - in her weird little fake monster constume - makes me laugh. The things she says and does - make me laugh.
SHE'S AN ANIMATED CHARACTER! How do they do THAT? How do they make people - in general - laugh at the facial expressions and actions of a character created on the computer? That is amazing.
Maybe I'm just easily amused.
I went a comedy club once - and the guy was just hilarious - and I started to laugh - not the kind of "oh ha I'll give you a courtesy laugh - you poor poor comedian" but the full on - "I cannot control the volume of my laughter" kind of laugh. And if you haven't heard - I have a bit of a ridiculous laugh. One that echoes - and to be honest has been accused of sounding rather inappropriate as I gasp for air and get higher and higher pitched. Well after a few minutes of my laughter the comedian looks up --- looks around and just says
"OK who's stepping on the puppy?"
Really? Yes a comedian just likened my laugh to a puppy being stepped on. Now isn't that cute
.
No comments:
Post a Comment