Monday, July 14, 2008

I meant to say...

I have an incredibly odd tendency to answer questions with "I'm tired" or "Man I'm hungry" even when I'm not.

It is this strange, uncontrolled urge to tell people I am one of those two things. I say it and then I think - no I'm not... why did I just say that?

I feel like we all do that - say what is easy and socially appropriate to some extent. Just like when someone asks you in passing "Hey how's it goin'?" - passing them on the sidewalk you are never going to answer "Absolutely awful - and you?" The reality is "how's it goin'?" is asked with the expectation of an answer such as "Great" or "doin well" or something of the like. If you answer anything else - it is officially awkward for the other person to keep walking. You have just implied that they should stop and ask WHAT it is that is going awful.

People ask a lot of questions they don't expect answers to. Some examples:

"Would you come over here?" - that implies action, they don't want a real answer... what if you just answered - "Nope can't do it - against my moral principles..." - that would be frustrating.

"Could you be any slower?" - communicating you need to hurry up, no one cares if you really COULD move faster...

Or forget questions... think about our weird phrases...

"The proof is in the puddin'" - what proof was ever or ever will be in pudding anyhow?

"Yeah, when pigs fly" - why did we choose pigs? Are we somehow discriminatory towards other barnyard animals...

or "holy cow" for that matter - why a cow?

We randomly pick animals for phrases - I just want to know why THOSE animals when we have so many more to choose from - how funny would "holy platypus" be or "yeah when chimp's fly" then we could argue that chimps kind of did fly... well not chimps but some form of primate - in The Wizard of Oz... although I feel like the plot of a totally trippy movie is much of an argument.

I wonder if people just start making up phrases to see how ridiculous they can be - while still catching on -- spreading like wild fire.
Case and point: "that's hot..."

Damn Paris Hilton - you got us. We are JUST dumb enough as a nation to jump on the "stupid phrase" train.

whoooo whooooooooooooooooooo here comes the group-think express.

No comments: