Monday, July 7, 2008

Desk Jobs

An interesting idea - the desk job.

Put someone in a chair - some with lumbar support, some with massage capabilities, some with ugly stains from former employees - and cozy them up with a desk for up to 8 hours a day.

Seat them in over-lit cubes with computers to entertain them for hours and expect them to accomplish things.

Has the working world neglected to keep with the times - how are we to be at all productive when we have iphones, youtube, facebook and blogs to entertain us?

"Shall I work on these reports for Wednesday or see what this youtube my sister e-mailed me is..."

Tough choice.

I'm not entirely sure what my purpose is when I come sit in the office. Site visits makes sense, lunch appointments are productive, phone calls and e-mails can be ground breaking... but when I'm sitting in the office and supposed to work on reports or updates or projections - all on my own volition - I find myself starting a blog.

Talking to myself - writing out thoughts - with the hysterical notion that anyone will read it.

Respite:
Part of Speech: v
Definition: to postpone, delay
Etymology: Latin respectus 'looking back'
Usage: transitive

That's what this is for me - a postpone; a delay of my daily routine. Perhaps it will be for someone else someday.

No comments: